Keep Your Pet’s Holiday Season Jolly with These Safety Tips

The holiday season is upon us, and many pet parents plan to include their furry companions in the festivities. As you gear up for the holidays, it is important to try to keep your pet's eating and exercise habits as close to their normal routine as possible. Also, be sure to steer pets clear of the following unhealthy treats, toxic plants and dangerous decorations:

By now you know not to feed your pets chocolate and anything sweetened with xylitol, but do you know the lengths to which an enterprising pet will go to chomp on something not meant for him or her? Make sure to keep your pets away from the table and unattended plates of food. Also, secure the lids on garbage cans.

Fatty, spicy and no-no human foods, as well as bones, should not be fed to your furry friends. Pets can join the festivities with their very own tasty and safe treats that won't lead to costly medical bills.

If your celebration includes adult holiday beverages, be sure to place your unattended alcoholic drinks where pets cannot get to them. If ingested, your pet could become weak, ill, and may even go into a coma, possibly resulting in death from respiratory failure.

Christmas Tree
Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn't tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet. This will also prevent the tree water—which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset—from spilling. Also, stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea should he imbibe.  Edible tree decorations—whether they are ornaments or popcorn strings—are not a good idea. These goodies are just too enticing.

Mistletoe & Holly
Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems, and many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe plant, like Christmas cactus. By the way, poinsettias have a bad reputation but in fact are of low-level toxicity. However, when ingested, signs of vomiting, drooling, or diarrhea may be seen.

Kitties adore this sparkly, light-catching "toy" that's easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration, and possible surgery. It's best to decorate with something other than tinsel.


Holiday Glow
Don't leave lighted candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over.

Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of reach of your pet. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet's mouth and digestive tract. Exposed indoor or outdoor wires should be taped to a wall. Any wires extending away from the wall should be wrapped in hard protective plastic to make them less interesting to your pet.

Winter holidays are a wonderful time to enjoy family and friends, but with all the extra hustle and bustle, don’t forget to do some extra  pet-proofing measures in order to keep the season merry. 

Here are some suggestions for treats and toys to bring holiday cheer to your furry family members: 

Raw meaty bones, dehydrated meat treats for dogs and cats, raw diet, quality kibble with low carbs and good protein chew options.

All of the above can be found and purchased at GoodDog.  Only safe and beneficial products for your pets!